Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

From beginning to end.

This time of year keeps me busy with work,vacation and exercise. I haven't been getting much painting done or playing done however last weekend I was able to do something I've wanted to do for awhile now but always seemed too pressed for time to do.

I live on the western shores of the Hudson river and ride my bicycle for exercise. Normally I'm with a group or trying to get the ride in before work. Surprisingly this past weekend on day with a poor forecast for outside activities I found myself with a changing weather pattern and route.

The Weather channel called for rain to start in about an hour and I felt like I had just enough time to get a quick ride in. I planned on going out for about 15 miles and headed to a local off road path. The sun was peeping through when I saw the marker on the side of the path, the writing blurred a little and not photogenic.

Within these woods, in the early morning hours of September 22, 1780, American General Benedict Arnold and British Major John André plotted the surrender of the American fortress at West Point. While attempting to return to British lines, André was captured by American soldiers. He was tried, convicted and hanged as a spy at Tappan on October 2, 1780. Arnold escaped capture and joined the British army.

I decided here that I should ride down to Tappan where the story continues.


Had things been planned better my wife could have met me and we would have had lunch in this fine restaurant

Looking to see this to it's conclusion I went over to Andre Ave. and up the hill to the Andre Monument






I ride past these sites and others often but rarely stop to enjoy them. This type of ride needs to be put into the rotation more often.

When I got home I saw this article in my feed. Some coincidence!
https://allthingsliberty.com/2018/08/the-death-and-resurrection-of-major-john-andre/

4 comments:

  1. I've also been wanting to get down that way for some time. I finally made it over to Stony Point battlefield a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great site. My wife and I kayaked out to the southern side a few weeks ago.

      Delete
  2. Things hurriedly bypassed in a car are often discovered and enjoyed by bike. Excellent photos and an interesting historical bicycle tour. Great to see you out on the bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A regular Sunday route takes us past the Baylor Massacre site but the pelotons lust for time bonuses doesn't encourage stopping:-)

      Delete