Pages

Monday, February 12, 2024

Starting the Thirty Years War

 Yes I know I've said it before many times "no new projects" but ever since reading The Lion of the North The Thirty Years War has interested me. Never enough to seriously study in detail but enough to always want a Wargames army. I didn't want to rush into this as I usually do but give it some thought and identify what I wanted the end product to look like.



So what am I looking for?

  • Units that look like the period pictures, massed pikes, sleeves of shot, large cavalry wings.
  • Each unit is one stand.
  • Gridded gameboard
  • Gameboard with a relatively small footprint 2'x3' or 3'x4' 
  • rules that capture the period, give the players decision points, provide a fast moving tense game. 

Here's a few of the resources I've been using

That's the start of the project. 

4 comments:

  1. Either great minds think alike or fools seldom differ!! I am in the planning stages of a TYW project, this after saying I was not going to start anymore!! Will be following yours with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great project to tackle. If I was starting a TYW project, my criteria would align very much as yours although I would opt for a little larger table. Warlord Epic figures seem to suit what you are trying to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting project, l look forward to following your progress with it.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason blogger won't let me reply individually.

    Donnie, I'll go with "great minds think alike" I hope to see a few posts about your project over on your blog.

    Jonathan, I will probably end up with a larger table. A friend gave me the Warlord sprue from the WI magazine and I've been playing around with those.

    Alan, Indeed, I'm hoping blogging will keep me focused.

    ReplyDelete