Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The Portable Wargame at Salem Church

I should have written this when some of the questions were fresher in my mind but I didn't. Part of the reason for that w=is that the floors are being re sanded and we spent much of the weekend moving things, more things than we should have. Part of all this is why playing The Portable Wargame was the choice for this weeks game.

It was just Howard and I as Matt was working and Nate is enjoying his newborn. We decided to give PW another try this time using my 15mm ACW figures. I pulled out the Salem Church scenario done by Johnny Reb as it's seemed to be the right size for this game. I used one stand per unit of infantry and three gunners for the artillery. I didn't have commanders but should have used at least two per side.
The Union advances.



Confederate's delay the Union advance.

Reinforcement arrive for the South as the Northerners advance on the left.

Yankees flanking the right.

Reb artillery dueling with the invaders.

The Union closes in on the Confederate left.

The Rebs have been flanked on the right.
An enjoyable game all in all. The squares are 2.5 inches and the board is eight by thirteen squares. I think I should have used two stands per unit to get a better look. Most of my figures based for Johnny Reb2 are on inch squares, four per base mostly. The fences were place in the center of the square to show which square would get the benefit but I think putting them on the edge would be better appearance wise and still show which square benefits. Maybe some new fences will be needed.

We had a few questions about flank attacks, line of site, figuring weapons ranges. Many had to do with the use of a grid and adjusting our own perceptions. Another reading of the rules and a few more games should get us there. 





4 comments:

  1. Lokks very nice, lovely armies and fences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have a fairly large ACW collection but likr PW for it's compactness.

      Delete
  2. Nice ACW game. I agree that units could be a bit bigger to get more of the feel, but you have to weigh that versus the size of the smaller table. There are never enough fences. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be able to use 2 stand units on this table but may still build a 3 or 4 inch table as well. I have plenty of materials for fences just need to get it done.

      Delete