Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Battles fought and honors awarded.

A Gentleman's War has been released and Howard has done me the greatest of honors by putting my name on the front cover. I was merely along for the ride but have now been listed on Amazon as an author. In reality Howard did all the work whilst I got to play in some great games with fantastic and fun figures.




I started this blog to chronicle a painting project of Little Britons figures. There was no real plan for rules mostly just to have two forces of figures in the Wellsian style.


 As I got some figures painted we tried Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames but while an enjoyable set didn't quite give us the game we wanted. We tried MacDuff ,closer.

                                                   

Howard tried a few things, some charts appeared, things changed, we had fun, others came and played, they had fun also.

My project crawled along. Howard went out and bought a boatload of figures and painted them all seemingly overnight. We had a really big game.

                                       

I played games, Howard worked. Then he found some of the comic book flats, painted them and he got to play.

                                             

A Gentleman's War in the 18th Century begins. My AWI collection gets broken out and we try it again. Though not a toy soldierly looking the game plays well.


Howard finds some Arab figures and makes his own from semi-rounds. We move to the desert.


 Distinctions are added, rules are tweaked. More work for Howard more fun for me. The rules go off for layout and editing. Others work very hard. I then get an email from Howard saying they had been published.



I'm obviously very happy and honored to have been involved with this project. Clearly biased but this is the best set of rules I've played. If asked why the reply is that this game makes me feel like I did when playing toy soldiers as a kid, before there were written rules or I knew much of tactics and formations, when reading a book or seeing a movie inspired me to get my men out and move them about the floor or out in the yard. AGW brings back the joy I found reading Wells, Young and Featherstone and dreaming of owning the armies they had.

Well I own armies like them and now have a set of rules to use.


I'll do my part to promote them.

Winged Hussar
https://www.wingedhussarpublishing.com/store/wargame-rules/a-gentlemans-war-or-glossy-coats-and-tin-bayonets-by-howard-whitehouse-and-daniel-foley-paperback/

Wargames Vault
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/263743/A-Gentlemans-War?src=hottest
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/263836/What-Luck-Cards?src=hottest_filtered
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/270706/What-Luck-Cards--Free-PDF?src=hottest_filtered
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/270708/A-Gentlemans-War--QRF-pages?src=hottest_filtered

Yahoo group
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/groupurlGentlemansWar/info

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2044768592219597/

6 comments:

  1. Started playing some games with them , very enjoyable - simple but clever and tactical .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I had some of those AWI flats as a kid. Still wish Ihad them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I try not to think about how many of those were tossed into the landfill.

      Delete
  3. Rules arrived, thoroughly enjoying reading them and looking forward to trying them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're enjoying them. Your blog Army Red/White and Others was a great inspiration for me when I started the Toy Soldier project.

      Delete