Pages

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Sticking to the plan.

Wednesday night saw the first game of the year. A forcasted storm had Matt decide he was available on Wednesday so he could get a game in just in case the storm did come. Good decision!

We chose to play The Pikeman's Lament. Matt pulled out his Samurai and although there was not enough for a 24 point game we still managed four units each. The forces were balanced with One Samurai (forlorn hope), two Shot and, one Yari (pike). I placed my leader with the Samurai, Matt put his with the Pike unit.

Matt's force

My Force

More of my force with the only Samurai I own in the foreground.

This was the first time that either of us had played these rules so the game was a little slow moving as we looked things up. It still moved quickly taking us about an hour and three quarters to finish. I think we got most rules right and decided we should give it another try. The main concern is that with the activation system one side may not get much of a chance to move. Playing a few more games should show if this was just how we rolled last night or if it's a legitimate complaint. 


My Samurai attack.


I'm pushed back with two casualties.


What's left of my pike prepare for a charge by Matt's Samurai.


The Last Samurai dies with honor.

A good game to kick off the New Year. A plus in that this was one of the games I've been wanting to play for awhile and that I used figures that someone else had and didn't rush off to buy some for myself. I'll admit I did visit the Perry website this morning:-).

As usual more photo's here at Saltflats1929
Exotic Army Lists for the Pikeman's Lament
DuxRampant Forum

6 comments:

  1. There is an attraction towards having your own troops “at risk” on the gaming table. You may be buying Samurai before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's always been my thoght process but I've turned a corner. Maybe a six figure unit...

      Delete
  2. Dan, I'll give you some bare lead samurai if you want to give them a go. They are a hard period to paint (to me), while the satisfaction of completion is above average, the act of painting them rates as a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven’t played PL but have LR and DR, the rules are alright for a fun evening.

    At the risk of being too much like a conscience, so not but samurai unless you are really into samurai as a genre. Otherwise just enjoy playing the occasional samurai game with someone else’s toys. 😀.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for helping me through my moment of weakness. I agree that Samurai seems to be an all or nothing period.

    ReplyDelete