Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Old is new.

We met last week for a WWII game and used Iron Ivan's Disposable Hero's rules, not the new version but the older set. Last year we had played Chain of Command six times as part of the 6x6 challenge and when done decided that although it was a good game it didn't hit all the points that we were looking for. I was a bit reluctant to drop $40.00 on DH2 having never played them. Matt had the first version and having played them often a few years back broke them out and ran us through the game. He did say he had streamlined a few thing but for the most part it was rules as written. I must say it was a fun game easy to remember the mechanics and gave s good result. Matt has let me borrow the rules and I think this is a set that needs more exploration.

The scenario had Howard and me taking a US platoon supported by two shermans and attempting to capture a crossroads defended by Matt's German platoon and the new Panzer I had bought a few weeks back. It was tough going for the Americans but in the end we raced forward and captured two of our three objectives.

US jump off point

Americans start their advance.

Defending the village.

LMG and the mortars FO.
Sherman approaches the village

Out pops the Panzer

looking good on the table.

The Sherman gets knocked out.
A great game played out just under two hours. Check out Matt's blog for more.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking game! I’m curious what CoC missed that DH picks up, except game length as CoC does take forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that CoC missed anything. Time is a big factor for the group I'm in. Matt has cut down some of the details but not much.

    ReplyDelete